Saturday, July 01, 2006

CSA Week #3: Chicken Cheddar Omelette

What came in our CSA this week:

(all organic)
1 dozen large brown eggs
Palatine extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Creamline lemon yogurt
Tatsoi
Napa cabbage
Bibb lettuce
Red lettuce
Sugar snap peas (!)
(conventional)
Dark cherries
Strawberries
Lemon-apple juice

The incredible bounty of this week's share surprised me; I was expecting less, based on reports that Norwich Meadows Farm (and much of upstate New York) has been suffering from terrific flooding. The water has swamped some of their fields and left almost all of them unnavigable by tractor, so all harvesting has to be done by hand. They're short-staffed and in need of help, so if anyone feels like taking a daytrip to Norwich, NY, let me know...

Anyway, the flooding, understandably, delayed distribution until Thursday, but this week I had the pleasure of doing a cooking demonstration of my Sugar Snap Peas with Lemon-Mint Gremolata at distribution, as sugar snaps were the featured item in this week's share. I got a lot of positive feedback, and I had so much fun cooking in the fabulous kitchen in NYU's food studies department!

Anyway, this morning I cracked open the first speckled egg and spilled its dark golden orb into the pan. In went grated cheddar, diced chicken (leftover from a Singaporean experiment), and a handful of crisp baby lettuce from last week's mixed greens. A little salt and red pepper, and voila - a healthy, delicious omelette as sunny as today turned out to be.

6 comments:

Tea said...

This looks delicious, and I'm glad the cooking demonstration went well (good thing you got a very early start on your cooking demonstration technique with that peanut butter sammy:-)

ThursdayNext said...

The omelette looks so delicious that I could chew my monitor right now. Mmmmm. What is your favorite kind of omelette, Kate? I would have to say mine is the egg version of a croque monsieur, with ham and cheese. So unhealthy, but so good!

Anonymous said...

One word ... wow!

Anonymous said...

I hadnt heard about the flood! Your omelette looks fabulously simple and delicious I have never in my life before added chicken to an omelette and it sounds like a wonderful idea, I will have to try it out.

Michelle said...

Wow - congrats on your demo! Your omelette looks fabulous. I've been hearing about all that flooding and wondering how the farms up there are faring; I hope it dries out soon!

Cris said...

Looks awesome! Will give it a try :-)